House District 4,
I’m reminded every week I am down here how honored I am to serve such a great district in Des Moines! Thank you again for letting me be your voice in the Iowa House.This week, I sponsored and cosponsored a number of bills. Below are some of the highlights :
– Sponsored a bill that would exempt new registration fees for vehicles transferred to a nonprofit entity for the purpose of donation to an individual served by the nonprofit entity in a transaction involving no consideration.HF 57 (This is to help a ministry in our county!)
– Cosponsored Rep. Heartsill’s Life at Conception bill (pro-life bill).
– Cosponsored Rep. Salmon’s Constitutional Carry bill (pro-gun bill).BUDGET
We are continually working on our budget. We have a manageable budget shortfall of $117 million and we must keep our budget balanced. We are working to ensure that we put education first, don’t repeat Gov. Culver’s detrimental across-the-board cuts (which really hurt schools, public safety and human services) and see if we can find duplications within the different departments. I am hopeful we will have our budget proposal out next week.Pictured here are Troy Larson (Tea, South Dakota), Rep. Skyler Wheeler (Orange City), Scott Wynja (Sioux Center), Rep. Dan Huseman (Aurelia), Murray Hulstein (Sioux Center), Rep. John Wills (Spirit Lake), Aaron Kooiker (Hull), and Glenn Anderson (Sibley).LEWIS and CLARK WATERThis week I had the honor to meet with several members of our local city government to discuss finishing the Lewis and Clark Water project. In our Transportation/Infrastructure/
– House Joint Resolution (HJR 3) would create an amendment to the Iowa Constitution to give home rule for school districts. I’m a big believer in local control of education so this is something I’ll be looking at closely.
– House File 20 (HF 20) would protect Iowa’s students from sexual exploitation by a school employee. This has happened too many times in Iowa and it’s an area that the state needs to take a serious look at.BILLS I’M WORKING ONI’m currently working on a religious liberty bill, an EPA nullification bill and several different education bills. I also haveHSB 17 assigned to me in an Education subcommittee meetingon Monday that I will be chairing.
|And as always, feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you may have!Thanks and God Bless!
“And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved…” Acts 16:31